Church of Our Lady
The church, which is called "Upper Parish" by the locals, is Bamberg's only purely gothic church. The simple nave was added 50 years after the late gothic choir whose foundations date from 1375 and the upper choir which is supported by flying buttresses. The wedding portal is a striking feature with its gothic statues. The church interior with a nave and two aisles contains baroque furnishings. The painting "The Ascension of Mary" by Tintoretto is a particularly valuable work of art.
Picture credits: Peter Eberts, Bamberg