Erlebnisangebote, Führungen, Kultur

Tailor-made package tours for you

Pilgrimage Church of the Painful Trinity in Schlüsselau

This former Cistercian Monastery was founded at the end of the 13th Century by Eberhard von Schlüsselberg and was closed in 1554 after it was destroyed by the Margrave Alcibiades.  Prince bishop Johann Philipp von Gebsattel rebuilt the church and founded the parish of Schlüsselau in 1603 and established the pilgrimage to the depiction of the  Painful Trinity.
When the church was turned into a Baroque church in the middle of the 18th century the miraculous image of the Painful Trinity found its final place in the high altar. The picture is based on a woodcut by Albrecht Dürer. Many pilgrims still come to visit the church and the town of Schlüsselau today. The former monastery is now the parish centre and vicarage and cannot be visited. It does offer overnight resting places for pilgrims on the Way of St. James, though.

Accessibility information

  • Bedingt rollstuhlgerecht
Barrierearm, für Rollstuhlfahrer bedingt zugänglich

Opening hours

9:00AM till 5:00PM