Erlebnisangebote, Führungen, Kultur

Tailor-made package tours for you

St. Elisabeth

St. Elisabeth church

Featuring stained-glass windows by Markus Lüpertz

Consecrated in 1354, St. Elisabeth was built to attend to the needs of the "Hospice of the Holy Spirit" in the Sand District of town. The choir still standing today goes back to 1400, the nave was errected in 1493. When the churches were closed in the age of secularisation, St. Elisabeth was used as a prison and workhouse. The renewal of its consecration took place in 1883.

The church is now a highlight for lovers of contemporary art, as the German artist Markus Lüpertz has designed and created eight stained-glass windows for the church, depicting the legend of Holy Elisabeth and the seven works of mercy. Lüpertz' art is already present in front of the church with his statue „Apoll“.

An historical way of the cross going back to 1503 begins at the church and takes visitors and pilgrims up St. Michael's hill to St. Getreu along the stations depicting scenes of Christ's Via Dolorosa. 

Accessibility information

  • Bedingt rollstuhlgerecht
Stufenloser Zugang durch kleine Rampe vor der Haupteingangstür

Opening hours

April till September
10:00AM till 6:00PM

November till 1. March
11:00AM till 3:00PM

The church is not open to the public during church services and events.